Friday, October 10, 2008

NY Times Series "The Reckoning: The Risk in Hindsight"

As a public school employee, my investment knowledge, until the past few weeks, has been limited to my understanding of my low-risk 401K and 403-b funds.

Derivatives? Hedge funds? Credit Derivatives? Short selling? Futures Contracts? Why should I worry about all of that! Like many other people, I was happy in my ignorance.

Here are a few links that I found useful in my fast-track education in finance and economics:

The New York Times Online is full of articles and video clips exploring the causes of the financial crisis:

Video: Examining the Financial Crisis
Video Timeline: Five Weeks of Financial TurmoilVideo: How Fannie Mae's Problems Lead to the Country's Financial Crisis
The Credit Crisis-The Essentials
AIG: Behind Insurer’s Crisis, Blind Eye to a Web of Risk
Taking a Hard New Look at Greenspan Legacy

Growth of a Complex Market
NY Times Multimedia Graphic: Growth of a Complex Market


Interactive Graphic: Credit Crisis Indicators

More to come!

Reference:
Investopedia

No comments: